Every 3rd week in March has been dedicated to Poison Prevention Week in order to build awareness about the many different poisonous items that can be harmful to pets. A good proportion of these dangerous items can be found in your average household.
In this article we will list some of the more common items that are considered poisonous to pets, but we also want to highlight the importance of acting fast and taking the right steps if you suspect your pet has ingested something poisonous.
What do do if your you believe your pet has ingested a poisonous substance?
- Get any remaining amounts of the poisonous substance out of your pet’s reach.
- Contact your veterinarian’s office or an emergency vet. There are also Pet Poison Hotlines available (most have a charge associated with the call) A good list of some options can be found here.)
- Collect a sample of the substance to your vet or emergency hospital.
- If you pet has vomited as a result of ingesting the substance, then it may be helpful to collect a sample to bring to the vet or emergency hospital a they may be able to test it.
- Different poisons have different times that for the effects to become noticeable. Always err on the side of caution. The sooner you are able to contact your vet or seek expert advice, the better it is for your pet. Regardless if your pet is not immediately displaying any outward signs of distress or effects, it would still be prudent to contact your vet or a hotline and perform the steps listed above.
According to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, the number one cause of poisoning in pets is prescription and over-the-counter drugs, both of the human and pet variety, including painkillers, cold and flu preparations, and antidepressants. Store ALL medications in a safe place that your pet will not be able to gain access to. If your pet has ingested any form of human or pet medication in excess, consider it a potentially harmful substance and contact your veterinarian or poison hotline for consultation.
Common Foods and Household Items
- Products containing Xylitol
- Citrus oil extracts
- Macadamia nuts
- Grapes and raisins
- Moldy foods
- Rodentcides or insect control poisons
- Cleaners, solvents, paint thinners, garden chemicals
Certain plants can be extremely poisonous to animals, even in small quantities. For a more detailed list of all plants that can be poisonous to pets click here. Some of the more common and frequent plant poisonings include these plants:
- Lilies (cats) Easter, Asiatic, Daylilies
- Tulips, daffodils and other bulb plants
- Sago Palms (and seeds)
- Castor Bean