Glen Oak Dog and Cat Hospital is proud to be a local veterinary resource for the Village of Wilmette. Located just a few miles from our location, we pride ourselves on being one of the Chicago Northshore’s premiere veterinary clinics. In addition to traditional veterinary services, we also offer and practice Holistic Veterinary Care, featuring a program focused on not only treating animal health issues, but also to prevent them long term.
A holistic approach to veterinary medicine is centered around the belief that the animal’s body should be treated as a whole and not simply each sign or symptom. This strategy encourages bringing balance to the body. Herbal medicine, Nutritional counseling, and Acpuncture are some of the techniques that can be used to achieve this goal. These techniques are natural and have the potential to can positive outcomes with minimal to no side effects. Holistic medicine can often help when conventional treatment is unsuccessful or not preferred.
We have been an AAHA accredited hospital for over thirty years. Our hospital and staff are highly regulated in order to achieve the most effective and up-to-date care for your animal.
Our Glenview office features two waiting rooms; one just for cats and one for dogs. We have an isolation kennel for patients with infectious or potentially infectious diseases. We also have two surgical suites and can perform multiple operations simultaneously.
Our pet hospital provides bilingual services in both English and Polish. Our doctors are all licensed by the state of Illinois, and are accredited by the United States Department of Agriculture, Animal Plant Health Inspection Service. Each doctor is certified to issue health certificates for animals to travel internationally.
We take pride in our work and strive to give the best care possible to your pet. Our veterinarians provide personal service, and utilize the latest in animal care treatments.
Residents of Wilmette know the importance of health, wellness and balance in their daily lives and often want the same for their pets. Glen Oak Dog and Cat Hospital is proud to serve the village of Wilmette and its residents.
About the Village of Wilmette
Native Americans were the first people to inhabit this region. European contact began with the arrival of French explorers three centuries ago. At that time, Potawatomi people were living in this area.
Wilmette’s road to incorporation began in 1869, a time during which the railroads played a crucial role in development, when a group of five men formed a land syndicate to promote residential development on the former Ouilmette Reservation. John G. Westerfield, the man who had originally farmed the land around the old Ouilmette cabin and later the village’s first president, laid out streets and lots in his first survey of the Village. Despite this earlier platting of the Village, it was not until 1872 that the Village was incorporated. It was named after early settlers Archange and Antoine Ouilmette, although the spelling was changed.
In 1910, the Northwestern Elevated Electric Railroad replaced the CM & St. Paul line, making electric train service to Chicago or Milwaukee available for the first time from the east side of the Village. This line was expanded north to 4th Street and Linden Avenue in 1912. In 1913, the railroad’s architect designed and built a Prairie-style station intended to be a “high-grade artistic terminal to attract the better purchasers.” This electric line is commonly called the “L” line and still operates.
By 1940, the population of the Village had reached 17,226. In 1942, Wilmette’s boundaries were further expanded when No Man’s Land, the triangle of land near the lake and bordering Kenilworth, was annexed after years of legal and legislative battles. Zoning changes allowed high-rise apartment buildings to be built there beginning in the 1960s.
The Edens Expressway opened in 1951 and the postwar baby boom brought rapid change to west Wilmette. Farmland disappeared as new streets were platted and homes and parks sprang up. The Edens Plaza Shopping Center opened in 1956. Improvements to the highways made it more convenient to drive to the city, bringing about the demise of the North Shore Line in 1955 and the Skokie Valley Line in 1962. In 1953, a prominent Wilmette landmark, the Baha’i House of Worship, was completed forty years after its construction began.
The population grew from 18,162 in 1950 to 32,134 by 1970. When the Village celebrated its centennial in 1972, there remained little vacant land. Wilmette had become a mature suburb, one whose coming challenges would be more of preservation and revitalization than of growth.